How to earn your badge
Choose from one of the five options. Then complete all the tasks under your chosen option.
Option 1: Radio Communication
You automatically gain this activity badge if you already hold, or go for, any of these qualifications:
•Radio Amateur Licence (Foundation, Intermediate or Full)
•Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate of Competence and Authority to Operate
•Flight Radio Telephone Operator’s Licence.
If not, complete all of these.
- Log 25 different amateur radio stations. Note the date, time, call sign, frequency, readability and location. You may include some broadcast stations.
- Show how to tune a simple communications receiver.
- Give an example of a typical greetings message.
- Explain in simple terms how radio waves travel around the world. Learn the more commonly used HF and VHF amateur frequency bands.
- Learn the phonetic alphabet and define at least eight international Q code signals.
- Show that you can recognise call signs from the UK and near continent.
- Visit an amateur radio station.
- Learn the regulations governing the use of amateur radio equipment.